This Monster Avocado Toast Is Perfect for National Frankenstein Friday
Frankenstein Friday is an unofficial “holiday” developed to honor the monster described in Mary Shelly’s book Frankenstein. The holiday is currently celebrated on the last Friday in October, which is the 29th of October this year. While there are a lot of ways to celebrate the day, why not celebrate this year with a yummy treat that looks just like the monster in Frankenstein?
Based on the book published in 1818, Shelly was only 21 years old when she came up with the idea, but ever since, it has been one of the most beloved horror books ever written. National Frankenstein Friday honors Mary Shelly, her infamous novel (or The Modern Prometheus), and the main characters in her book: Dr. Frankenstein and the monster.
In honor of the 2021 Frankenstein Friday, you can enjoy your avocado toast that not only tastes delicious but also looks just like Frankenstein’s monster. The monster in the book was a way for Dr. Frankenstein to try and bring his brother, who died by drowning, back to life. But, instead, he ends up creating a monster that wreaks havoc on his life and the lives of others.
Frankenstein Friday is a day to celebrate this famous story, and you can even think up other ways to do this as well.
In addition to the tasty treat mentioned below, you can also celebrate Frankenstein Friday by:
- Reading the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelly or read both editions of the book
- Watching any one of the numerous movies that are based on the book
- Drawing a picture of what you think Frankenstein looks like
This is an incredibly popular book and movie, so let’s get started with this yummy avocado toast recipe!
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need to get started:
- 1 slice of Cellone’s Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons of mashed avocado or guacamole
- Black olives (used to make the neck bolts, eyes, hair, and stitches)
- 2 pretzel sticks (for the neck bolts)
- 1 radish, cut in half (eyes)
- 1 sliced carrot (nose)
- 1 grape tomato (mouth)
Finally, let’s get started making the toast!
- Step 1: Take a slice of Cellone’s Italian bread and lightly toast it.
- Step 2: Take the guacamole or avocado and spread it evenly over the toast.
- Step 3: Take the pretzels and stick one on each side of the toast to look like the protruding neck bolts. Then add one olive to each pretzel to make it look more realistic.
- Step 4: Cut up several olives by either dicing or chopping them up into smaller pieces. Make them look as much like hair as possible, then place all of the olive mixture on the top section of the toast.
- Step 5: Take a few more olives and cut them into thin strips. You’ll use these to make the stitches on the face of the monster. Make the stitch on one half of the face and make it look like an “equal” sign for the best results.
- Step 6: Take a radish and slice it in half. These two radish parts will be the base of the eyes.
- Step 7: Take one of the olives, cut it in half, and then complete the eyes.
- Step 8: Take a carrot slice and use it for the nose.
- Step 9: Finally, take the grape tomato and slice it lengthwise into a wedge shape. You’ll use this wedge for the mouth of the monster.
Last, go ahead and dig into your Frankenstein toast and enjoy both the toast and the day!